Title
the two subjects most associated to mathematics in the layman imagination are
Sitting in LDT conference.
Are all Annals papers really excellent? 1 2
Job market after getting a job 1 2
Examples of mathematicians moving to lesser departments to avoid 1 2
Why did Minhyong Kim leave Oxford?
[nuke] If you want to prove anything significant, you need to go crackpot mode 1 2
I knew Math was going woke when the Annals of combinatorics
What are the best places for conference tourism? 1 2
The olden days
Taking the wife with you for a conference 1 2
How hard to get in EPFL
Again, please find a solution
Good introductory books on chaos theory and its practical implications 1 2
The most important problem in your sub-sub-field
Best MJR IDs 1 2 3 4 5
[nuke] Novikov Conjecture
At what age should one grow their Einstein hair out like Carlos Rovelli & Michio
How does Eric Weinstein have so much free time? 1 2 3 4
Is CUNY anti Semitic? 1 2 3 4 5
What's your appraisal of Aaron TK Chow? 1 2 3
Indian job market rumours 1 2
When do you think an AGI will be a better mathematician than, e.g., Von Neumann?
Salary in Singapore
PhD advisers at random places with a good track record 1 2 3
Jacob Ziv has died
Why did Teleman return to Berkeley from Oxford?
How high is the salary of an assistant professor (US tenure-track equivalent) in
Have you told your parents you’re an undergrad yet?
Rough Job Market 1 2
Top mathematicians still in Russia 1 2
What is the highest form of technique you hope to achieve?
What's your favorite Soviet? 1 2
Are pure mathematicians underrated in terms of fame & acclaim? 1 2
PSU vs UMD 1 2
Yay I got a TT offer at a top ten!
Will the program "toposes as bridges" lead to a rain of results?
Proof techniques that you can’t support or of which you are suspicious 1 2 3
Good enough Putnam score to list for the top grad schools (Harvard, MIT, etc.) 1 2 3
Tenure track job application results 1 2 ... 142 143 144

A paper in review for 3+ years with no feedback

1. Top Mathematician
    jwyk

I submitted a paper to a top5 journal. I have sent inquires for a few times, but they told me the paper is still under review. So far I haven’t received any report. What should I do?

1 weekjwyk
    Quote 0 Up 0 Down Report
  2. Top Mathematician
    inaj

Nothing you can do.

1 weekinaj
    Quote 11 Up 0 Down Report
  3. Top Mathematician
    ombn

Now you know not to send a paper there again

1 weekombn
    Quote 12 Up 1 Down Report
  4. Top Mathematician
    wldw

You might have more luck talking to the editors directly or through a different channel. But really if a referee takes very long, there's not much that you or the editors can do about it other than send it to someone else when they stop replying.

1 weekwldw
    Quote 1 Up 0 Down Report
  5. Top Mathematician
    leeu

You might have more luck talking to the editors directly or through a different channel. But really if a referee takes very long, there's not much that you or the editors can do about it other than send it to someone else when they stop replying.

There are chances the paper will be accepted

1 weekleeu
    Quote 0 Up 0 Down Report
  6. Top Mathematician
    tukr

I submitted a paper to a top5 journal. I have sent inquires for a few times, but they told me the paper is still under review. So far I haven’t received any report. What should I do?

If you send the paper to a top-5 journal, clearly it's an important piece of work which warrants a thorough review. Since the paper is being reviewed (instead of sitting on the desk of editor gathering dust), I would say there's nothing wrong with that.

1 weektukr
    Quote 1 Up 0 Down Report
  7. Top Mathematician
    uqzs

You can email the editor that you haven't gotten feedback in three years, but there's nothing else you can do.

Let me tell you my experience. I submitted a paper to a top 5 journal and it took me about 2.5 years to get the first report. Of course, I was a little nervous, but I wasn't too worried because I knew that the research was important in my field and I also knew that the experts in my field thought positively about it. Take pride in the fact that you did good research.

1 weekuqzs
    Quote 1 Up 0 Down Report
  8. Top Mathematician
    jkcu

You can always unsubmit the paper. Check on AS (Stanford) webpage.

1 weekjkcu
    Quote 3 Up 0 Down Report
  9. Top Mathematician
    tubu

Who’s AS?

1 weektubu
    Quote 0 Up 0 Down Report
  10. Top Mathematician
    jkcu

Who’s AS?

You know, the Selmer groups guy.

1 weekjkcu
    Quote 0 Up 0 Down Report
  11. Top Mathematician
    gddj

I am not surprised. No one wants to work for free. I have stopped accepting offers to referee papers, and I only upload to the arXiv now so I expect no one to referee my papers. No more time for this nonsense

1 weekgddj
    Quote 17 Up 5 Down Report
  12. Top Mathematician
    ynyn

I am not surprised. No one wants to work for free. I have stopped accepting offers to referee papers, and I only upload to the arXiv now so I expect no one to referee my papers. No more time for this nonsense

Ass

1 weekynyn
    Quote 5 Up 16 Down Report
  13. Top Mathematician
    ombn

You're getting downvoted but your sentiment is right. It really is thankless work. Imagine if some of that money journal publishers get was allocated towards the peer reviewers who play a big role in making that possible.

1 weekombn
    Quote 15 Up 0 Down Report
  14. Top Mathematician
    mafu

I bet you push hard at hiring committee meetings for the juniors with no published papers, only preprints, right? Right?

1 weekmafu
  15. Top Mathematician
    jwfz

the funny part is that I was on ejmr the other day arguing that professors didnt really have a boss and some guy kept telling me that reviewers were bossing around professors. ljl. You're literally working for us by being a reviewer.

1 weekjwfz
    Quote 0 Up 0 Down Report
  16. Top Mathematician
    bpto

If the paper contains a result with a sound claim and if the arguments are very intricate and technical, the editors may look for someone who confirms the correctness, and this may be done after the quick opinions and the standard reports, which may recommend the paper without hard checking of details, pressing the editor into further review. Then it can be hard to find a willing reviewer, and the manuscript ends up with a busy serious person who will take some time to do the job. In such situations the whole process can easily take more than 3 years. By the description, this could be your case, so let them finish their job, if the proofs are correct, there is a decent probability that your paper will be accepted. But its not a sure thing, it may also be the case of some unclear or hesitating opinion requiring a final adjudicator. Good luck!

1 weekbpto
    Quote 1 Up 1 Down Report
  17. Top Mathematician
    svao

Few people can afford doing it this way, but one should say that this position is fair, since it's not contributing to the increasing deficit of the system.

This is actually something worth discussing, since the current situation is on the verge of rupture. Some people support the reviewing system at the expense of their own work. Others take advantage of it by only publishing and don't review at all and may receive huge gains from this attitude, in the modern competitive publications based system. The worse thing is that it is close to impossible to identify who is creating the deficit and who is reducing it, given that reviewers receive requests from many different editors, and editors end up with no valid sample to distinguish between the two groups.

My perception is that this is leading to increasing quality of reviews in specialized journals and reducing quality of reviews in generalistic journals, even in those of top, since it is easier to decline or do a less careful work for someone from a different field, even if that someone is some Fields level editor in a top journal, rather than declining or do a less careful work for a close editor who puts a lot of energy in managing the science of our primary interests. But this is a very individual perspective. Different people in different fields may develop different perceptions.

Going back to the deficit, there is no science here. To have a positive contribution one should do a few more reviews than one receives from own submissions. To be neutral, one should do at least the same number. This would be equivalent to the above privileged situation of simply posting to arXiv and don't do any review at all.

1 weeksvao
    Quote 12 Up 1 Down Report
  18. Top Mathematician
    rhzh

it is only interesting to suppport the system if the systems supports you

if you work several days/week on a report for someone's paper, but then receive a feedback on your own paper "Your paper is not good enough" (without further explanation) after 1 year of consideration, you should ask youself many questions

pesonally, I continue to review 5-6 papers per year, but if my submission is rejected somewhere, I put that journal on my personal black list for 10 years and do not react to any request

1 weekrhzh
  19. Top Mathematician
    ptkm

In these cases I always send the editor a caustic email because it makes me feel better for a few minutes.

1 weekptkm
    Quote 4 Up 0 Down Report
  20. Top Mathematician
    ionq

it is only interesting to suppport the system if the systems supports you

if you work several days/week on a report for someone's paper, but then receive a feedback on your own paper "Your paper is not good enough" (without further explanation) after 1 year of consideration, you should ask youself many questions

pesonally, I continue to review 5-6 papers per year, but if my submission is rejected somewhere, I put that journal on my personal black list for 10 years and do not react to any request

That’s a great idea!

1 weekionq
    Quote 1 Up 0 Down Report
Your screen is so tiny that we decided to disable the captcha and posting feature
Store settings & IDs (locally, encrypted)
New ID for each thread
Click the button below to post

Formatting guidelines: Commonmark with no images and html allowed. $ and $$ for LaTeX. Input previewed in last post of thread. For a link to be allowed it must include the http(s) tag and come from the list of allowed domains.