Examples of mathematicians moving to lesser departments to avoid 1 2
Is CUNY anti Semitic? 1 2 3 4 5
the two subjects most associated to mathematics in the layman imagination are
I knew Math was going woke when the Annals of combinatorics
Sitting in LDT conference.
Are all Annals papers really excellent? 1 2
Job market after getting a job 1 2
Why did Minhyong Kim leave Oxford?
[nuke] If you want to prove anything significant, you need to go crackpot mode 1 2
What are the best places for conference tourism? 1 2
The olden days
Taking the wife with you for a conference 1 2
How hard to get in EPFL
Again, please find a solution
Good introductory books on chaos theory and its practical implications 1 2
The most important problem in your sub-sub-field
Best MJR IDs 1 2 3 4 5
[nuke] Novikov Conjecture
At what age should one grow their Einstein hair out like Carlos Rovelli & Michio
How does Eric Weinstein have so much free time? 1 2 3 4
What's your appraisal of Aaron TK Chow? 1 2 3
Indian job market rumours 1 2
When do you think an AGI will be a better mathematician than, e.g., Von Neumann?
Salary in Singapore
PhD advisers at random places with a good track record 1 2 3
Jacob Ziv has died
Why did Teleman return to Berkeley from Oxford?
How high is the salary of an assistant professor (US tenure-track equivalent) in
Have you told your parents you’re an undergrad yet?
Rough Job Market 1 2
Top mathematicians still in Russia 1 2
What is the highest form of technique you hope to achieve?
What's your favorite Soviet? 1 2
Are pure mathematicians underrated in terms of fame & acclaim? 1 2
PSU vs UMD 1 2
Yay I got a TT offer at a top ten!
Will the program "toposes as bridges" lead to a rain of results?
Proof techniques that you can’t support or of which you are suspicious 1 2 3
Good enough Putnam score to list for the top grad schools (Harvard, MIT, etc.) 1 2 3
Tenure track job application results 1 2 ... 142 143 144

Forum Mathematics Sigma and Pi - have they been successful?

1. Top Mathematician
    kmea

Forum Mathematics Sigma and Pi are officially 10 years old now. Have they been a success? On this forum, these journals are some of the most hotly debated.

These new journals, championed by Gowers and Tao tried to significantly reduce the cost of publishing, however they also decided to use a different model, and pass the publishing charges onto the authors instead of the readers (e.g. institutions, libraries, etc). Currently the article processing charges are 1500 USD per article.

What do you think? Are these journals high quality? Does their business model make sense long term? Are they good to have on your resume? Do hiring committees care?

1 weekkmea
    Quote 11 Up 0 Down Report
  2. Top Mathematician
    kibx

Wow, 10 years? No, definitely have not lived up to their self-made hype then. I thought they started 3 years ago or something.

1 weekkibx
    Quote 5 Up 2 Down Report
  3. Top Mathematician
    wxob

Forum Mathematics Sigma and Pi are officially 10 years old now. Have they been a success? On this forum, these journals are some of the most hotly debated.

These new journals, championed by Gowers and Tao tried to significantly reduce the cost of publishing, however they also decided to use a different model, and pass the publishing charges onto the authors instead of the readers (e.g. institutions, libraries, etc). Currently the article processing charges are 1500 USD per article.

What do you think? Are these journals high quality? Does their business model make sense long term? Are they good to have on your resume? Do hiring committees care?

There's definitely stuff in these journals which I find very interesting. But it's usually by people who are close to the Gowers-Tao mafia already.

I'm not senior enough to have any ideas how this has impacted hiring committees. The business model definitely comes across as extremely problematic to me though: it disincentivizes submissions from people without grants, or people in lower-income countries. I know there's supposed to be some fee waiver for such folks, but I'm sure there's a chilling effect the fee has on submissions.

1 weekwxob
    Quote 9 Up 1 Down Report
  4. Top Mathematician
    doec

They're not a negative on a resume, but I've never seen someone make a big deal out of either of them when hyping a job candidate. Given that Pi is claimed to be as good as the top 5 (which are constantly cited in hiring meetings), this leads me to think that they have not succeeded.

My institution apparently has a deal where they'll waive the article processing fees, but the whole idea is repugnant to me, so there is no way I'd ever submit to either of them. I've also declined all refereeing requests for them up to now, though that's not a hard and fast personal rule and I would probably referee a paper for a junior author for them.

1 weekdoec
    Quote 12 Up 1 Down Report
  5. Top Mathematician
    biao

The first time I heard of them was on MJR

1 weekbiao
    Quote 5 Up 1 Down Report
  6. Top Mathematician
    lslr

Their model (with the article processing charges) is clearly problematic. Mathematicians criticize the MDPI journals as being predatory, and I honestly don't see how the Forum of mathematics Sigma/Pi journal is any different from that.

1 weeklslr
    Quote 10 Up 4 Down Report
  7. Top Mathematician
    qsuq

Their model (with the article processing charges) is clearly problematic. Mathematicians criticize the MDPI journals as being predatory, and I honestly don't see how the Forum of mathematics Sigma/Pi journal is any different from that.

They have real refereeing, real editing, etc. What makes MDPI crap is not it's publishing model per se, rather it's complete lack of seriousness and professionalism - they accept anything and everything after a week in spite of bad referee reports.

1 weekqsuq
    Quote 13 Up 0 Down Report
  8. Top Mathematician
    bgew

They have real refereeing, real editing, etc. What makes MDPI crap is not it's publishing model per se, rather it's complete lack of seriousness and professionalism - they accept anything and everything after a week in spite of bad referee reports.

Some MDPI journals have real refereeing, and all of them are supported by professional editing. Examples of good MDPI journals:

Remote Sensing Atmosphere Sustainability Fluids

MDPI Remote Sensing has impact factor = 5.3, same as Annals Math.

1 weekbgew
    Quote 3 Up 12 Down Report
  9. Top Mathematician
    phof

How is that evidence of quality or even reliability?!

1 weekphof
    Quote 10 Up 0 Down Report
  10. Top Mathematician
    fpwa

two clown journals

1 weekfpwa
    Quote 3 Up 4 Down Report
  11. Top Mathematician
    nlfa
    [...]

Some MDPI journals have real refereeing, and all of them are supported by professional editing. Examples of good MDPI journals:

Sorry this is nonsense. I agreed to referee for several of them just to see how they operated. I rejected articles that were at the level of undergrad exercises and they were pro only published a few days later. This was in Mathematics and Symmetry. Complete cons. Anyone involved with them should be ashamed of themselves.

1 weeknlfa
    Quote 6 Up 0 Down Report
  12. Top Mathematician
    motj
    [...]

Sorry this is nonsense. I agreed to referee for several of them just to see how they operated. I rejected articles that were at the level of undergrad exercises and they were pro only published a few days later. This was in Mathematics and Symmetry. Complete cons. Anyone involved with them should be ashamed of themselves.

This thread is suppose to be about Forum Mathematics Sigma and Pi, not the con-artist journal MDPI. Lets stay on topic.

1 weekmotj
    Quote 6 Up 0 Down Report
  13. Top Mathematician
    rlep

lmao I didn't know you need to pay to publish there, and there's no way I can afford the 1500usd just to publish there.

1 weekrlep
    Quote 5 Up 0 Down Report
  14. Top Mathematician
    ibys

I think Elsevier and Springer are bad, but I also don't like the pay to publish model. I like the idea of diamond open access journals like CAMS, Discrete Analysis, and Ars Inveniendi Analytica, but I guess they need some external financial support to be viable.

1 weekibys
    Quote 8 Up 0 Down Report
  15. Top Mathematician
    cvxy

Given that they waive fees for the US and essentially everywhere except the EU, where there is typically univeristy money for open-access publishing, it’s EU taxpayers funding their whole project. Pretty rich given that Tao is an American multimillionaire, and neither he nor Gowers pay EU taxes.

1 weekcvxy
    Quote 8 Up 0 Down Report
  16. Top Mathematician
    vjni

The lemons like Tao support the journals

1 weekvjni
    Quote 2 Up 5 Down Report
  17. Top Mathematician
    mtnv

Given that they waive fees for the US and essentially everywhere except the EU, where there is typically univeristy money for open-access publishing, it’s EU taxpayers funding their whole project. Pretty rich given that Tao is an American multimillionaire, and neither he nor Gowers pay EU taxes.

They waive fees for US authors? Why?

1 weekmtnv
    Quote 2 Up 0 Down Report
  18. Top Mathematician
    xfeh

How do you know that? The US fees may be covered by someone else in the US. It's not like a waiver makes administrative costs disappear...

1 weekxfeh
    Quote 1 Up 0 Down Report
  19. Top Mathematician
    lisr

and they are published by an UK university press which is not in Eurozone anymore. Ridiculous

1 weeklisr
    Quote 4 Up 0 Down Report
  20. Top Mathematician
    biao

TT made a big mistake to publish there, which gave the journal its current reputation: a place that some big shoots want to promote for some shady reasons. Add that to the fact that they have publication fees, this doesn't look right...

1 weekbiao
    Quote 5 Up 6 Down Report
Your screen is so tiny that we decided to disable the captcha and posting feature
Store settings & IDs (locally, encrypted)
New ID for each thread
Click the button below to post

Formatting guidelines: Commonmark with no images and html allowed. $ and $$ for LaTeX. Input previewed in last post of thread. For a link to be allowed it must include the http(s) tag and come from the list of allowed domains.